Sunday, June 26, 2011

Brew Day - Cream Ale #2 - Swamp Cooler

A friend of mine was really interested to see how homebrewing worked, so we decided to brew up the Cream Ale since what I had left of the first batch was quickly crushed at a party a few weeks ago. He asked a ton of questions and I may have converted him. Time will tell!

Pretty standard brew day with all of it going as planned. I have a rather detailed checklist that I use for my brew day and I found that now that I have a few AG batches in that I didn't look at it often. It was a good feeling to know that I'm becoming so comfortble with the process and that I can start to focus on refining it.

If you are interested in the recipe, you can find it here. The only thing I did different was add a 1/8 lb of Golden Light DME at 30 mins. I did this because I use the DME to make starters and there wasn't enough to make another starter and it was getting older, so instead of just tossing it, decided to add it to the wort.

Temperature in my storage area were hanging out near 70 and I'd like to ferment a cooler. Temperatures are also supposed to climb to near 90 into the week so I figured I'd set up a swamp cooler so I could keep the beer at a constant temperature.


Checked it this morning and we had good activity in th airlock and the beer was sitting around 67ish. I'm happy with that. I'm monitor the temps and put a frozen quart jug in the tub if needed to keep the water cool.

1 comment: